øÿ iMac G5
Upper Fan, Education Unit
Follow the instructions in this sheet carefully. Failure to follow these instructions could damage your equipment and void its warranty.
Note: Online instructions are available at http://www.apple.com/support/doityourself/.
" Use the enclosed tool; Phillips #2 screwdriver or Torx-8 depending upon what type of screws are present.
" Screw tray or something equivalent to hold the screws
034-3251 Rev. A
Important Things to Know
1. Don t remove any screws other than the ones mentioned in this document.
2. Some iMac G5 models will have silver-colored torx screws securing the fan, others will have brass-colored Phillips #2 screws. Use the appropriate enclosed tool to remove the fan screws.
3. Ground yourself when working on the computer. The procedure will show you how to ground yourself.
4. Keep drinks and other liquids away from the area you are working on the iMac.
2 - iMac G5, Upper Fan, Education Unit
Opening the Computer
1. Turn your computer off by choosing Shut down from the Apple (K) menu.
2. Disconnect all cables, and unplug the power cord from your computer
3. Place a soft, clean towel or cloth on the desk or surface. Hold the sides of the computer and slowly lay the computer face down as shown.
iMac G5, Upper Fan, Education Unit - 3
4. Locate the three case screws circled below. You may have to lift the metal foot to locate the middle case screw. Note: These screws are captive; they are part of the display/bezel assembly and cannot be removed.
Using the tool provided, or a Phillips #2 screwdriver, loosen the three captive screws.
Note: Turn the screws to the left until they stop turning. Don t force the screws once they stop turning.
5. Holding the back cover by the metal foot, tilt the cover up and lift it off the computer.
Set the back cover aside.
4 - iMac G5, Upper Fan, Education Unit
Removing the Upper Fan